Below are a list of Frequently Asked Questions and the answers to these questions. Please read through these questions for the answers to questions that you may have. If your question is not addressed in the FAQ's please
e-mail your questions to sales@BlackthorneProducts.com. Please note: All FAQ's are superseded by information found on the HOME page!.
How do I order:
You can order through our online store and your card is charged when the order is placed, or via email: Sales@BlackThorneProducts.com, or by mail Blackthorne Products LLC, PO Box 2441, South Saint Paul, MN 55076.
How long does it take to Ship?
We try very hard to ship orders as fast as humanly possible. Over 95% of our on-line credit card orders ship within 3 working days of receipt of payment. Upon occasion, during periods of heavy orders, it may take longer. Usually UPS will Quantum View Notify you via email with a tracking number when your order is shipped but sometimes this email will not get through SPAM filters etc.
How and when do tracking numbers get generated?
UPS generates a tracking number immediately upon receipt of the order, even though the package may not ship immediately. You can check the actual shipping status at UPS.com. (it will show if it has shipped and where it currently is) Please take note of all shipping updates on the Home page before you order and actually read what you are agreeing to. Depending on the location that we are shipping to, it usually takes 3 - 5 WORKING days for UPS to deliver. We are sorry but UPS will not allow us to request special delivery instructions (ie. "Leave it on the back porch" or "Have UPS call me when they are ready to deliver") MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ENTIRE HOME PAGE FOR SHIPPING UPDATES BEFORE YOU ORDER.
We accept VISA, MC, and AMEX. We also accept personal and company checks but we hold them two weeks for clearance (see above). All prices are FOB Blackthorne Products. All sales shipped to MN addresses are subject to 6.875% sales tax. All prices and specifications are subject to change WITHOUT NOTICE. Please note that our credit card gateway charges us more to process a phone order (statistically they are less secure) so we have to pass this additional cost (10%) on to the customer. We try very hard to ensure that the prices and specifications shown on this website are up to date, but occasionally something may be incorrect or have changed.
What discounts are Available?
Since nothing we sell requires an FFL for purchase, we do not discount for FFL holders. The ONLY discounts that we offer are QUANTITY discounts as follows: QTY 50-99 complete AR15 parts kits (everything less stripped lower) ordered and paid for at one time the discount is 5%, QTY 100+ complete AR15 type parts kits ordered and paid for at one time the discount is 10%. This discount applies to COMPLETE AR15 type parts kits only. We do not offer any other discounts.
What Shipping is Available?
All orders are shipped via UPS ground. 2-DAY and NEXT-DAY service are available for an additional charge. Shipments must be made to a STREET ADDRESS ONLY!!!; PO Boxes, APO, etc. are NOT acceptable. We do not ship outside the US. Sorry, we do not ship by USPS or other means. Please do not ask us to do so. We do NOT accept third party payments for shipping of ANY kind (ie. "Ship it on my UPS account") Please note that the website automatically computes the shipping based on size, weight, dollar value of the shipment, and other factors. Please review your order VERY CAREFULLY paying special attention to the shipping, handling, and insurance charges, these are computed by the website and are non-negotiable. Do not confirm your order until after you have carefully reviewed it and found it to be acceptable. Once placed your order cannot be changed or edited. We do not allow local pickups of any type.
WE DO NOT SHIP OUTSIDE OF THE US!!!!
Can I change my order once it is submitted? Sorry, but the on-line order system is completely automated and once you submit the order, the order cannot be changed, items cannot be added or deleted, and shipping cannot be combined because the total has been calculated and your card already charged. Please be absolutely sure that your order is complete and correct before you submit the order!
What happens if you are out of stock?
We try very hard to ship in a timely manner. The great majority of our orders are shipped the same day if we receive the order before 12:00 noon. If we are out of stock on an item but expect it in shortly, we take no action other than shipping it as soon as possible. If we expect that it will be a longer wait, we will post this information on the HOME page so that our customers can check the HOME page BEFORE they order and can choose to wait to place their order is there is a back order.
How do I assemble the parts?
Assembly of any of the parts or uppers from Blackthorne must be done by a qualified gunsmith. They can check all the critical components and measurements to ensure safe operation. Manuals are available free on this site or you can contact Blackthorne Products and we can email, fax or mail manuals.
Do you make any custom kits or customize parts?
No, all parts come as described. We do not do ANY custom work or put together any custom kits.
What is the Return/Repair Policy?
Blackthorne Products is very concerned with our customers' satisfaction. We try very hard to ship the correct order in a timely manner. With this in mind, we offer a no questions asked return policy with a three day inspection period.
Goods can be returned from the ORIGINAL PURCHASER ONLY within three days of receipt with no questions asked for a full refund of the purchase price (less shipping, labor, special order, and non-certified funds charges) by complying with the following instructions:
1. The goods must be returned in the same condition that they were received and in their entirety (ie. you cannot send back parts of a parts kit, you must return the ENTIRE parts kit) Goods cannot be returned if they have been altered or fit in any way. Check your parts carefully when you receive them, if there is a problem DO NOT ALTER THE PARTS IN ANY WAY!!! If you do so you will NOT be able to return them.
2. A Return Number, which can be obtained from Blackthorne Products LLC, and good for 10 days from the date of receipt, must appear on the OUTSIDE of the package in two places. If the Return Number is not visible on the outside of the package, the package will be refused. Magic marker works best.
3. The customer is responsible for shipping back to Blackthorne Products LLC. Please ensure that you require an adult signature and that you insure the package for the correct amount. Blackthorne Products will not be held liable for any return shipping or damage for ANY reason (even if you believe differently).
4. A refund check will be mailed or the credit card will be credited for the purchase price of the items. Shipping and other charges are not refundable for ANY reason (even if you believe they should be).
5. A copy of the sales receipt must accompany the return.
6. If a return is requested after the three day inspection period has expired, all of the above points must be followed and there will be a 15% restocking fee per. In no case are returns allowed past 30 days from the date on the receipt. DO NOT WAIT TO INSPECT YOUR PARTS!!! If you do not have the mating parts, or if you are not going to be able to fully inspect the parts promptly, do not order until you do.
7. Please order your items very carefully, it is your responsibility to order the correct item by item number. If you are unsure if the items you are ordering will work for your particular application, please email our technical staff before ordering.
8. It is assumed that you, the customer, have read and understand this return policy. By placing an order you are bound to the conditions of this policy.
9. Please ensure that you include a letter with the return explaining what you would like us to do. Refund? Replace? Repair? All items are sold as is and you would be surprised how many times we receive just the return and have no idea what the customer would like.
It is our pleasure to supply you the great products at the best prices with the best service. To ensure that we can continue to do so, please ensure that you follow these instructions when a return is necessary. Please note that any profanity or lack of common courtesy may result in your email being blocked.
The following section applies to AR-15 parts only.
What is an AR-15 Receiver
A receiver is the gun as far as BATFE is concerned. On an AR-15 type rifle, this is the part that houses the hammer, trigger etc. and the magazine. Blackthorne Products does NOT sell lower receivers.
Who makes Blackthorne Parts?
Most of the major parts are made by military contractors. The upper receiver, bolt and carrier group, lower receiver parts kits and certain buttstocks etc. Our barrels are mostly made by Wilson and Mossberg. We headspace and test EACH AND EVERY barreled upper!
Blackthorne purchases the barrels in our kits from Wilson and Mossberg. Again, we simply cannot tell the difference in manufacturers so we cannot honor requests for specific manufacturers. Our barrels are made from chrome-moly 4150 steel, except our Stainless steel barrels, these are made from 416R re-sulpherized gun quality stainless steel. Barrels are un-marked. We do not normally chrome line our barrels because this degrades accuracy and, because of advances in the quality of ammunition, is not really needed for corrosion resistance for most people. With this said, we do offer our barrels chrome lined on special order. Chrome lined barrels are extra. This should not be necessary unless you operate in or around salt water and have an aversion to cleaning your firearm. If you require more corrosion resistance than normal, get a stainless barrel. Chrome lined barrels are ordered by using the item # AR-Chrome-L.
Are Blackthorne Products uppers and complete kits headspaced?
ANYTIME a bolt that was not specifically headspaced to a specific barrel is used headspace must checked and/or adjusted. If you purchase an upper or barrel without a bolt the upper will be cut to minimum headspace. It must be this way to avoid excessive headspace with any mil spec bolt (tolerance stacking). If your bolt is not made to the minimum spec (but still within the mil spec tolerance) you may have to headspace. If you purchased a complete kit we do this for you.
Used or non-mil spec bolts may not headspace correctly and we do NOT recommend using anything other than BRAND NEW, MIL SPEC bolts. All uppers should be checked for headspace before firing. All 5.56mm barrels are gauged to a mil spec headspace dimension of 1.4636" to 1.4736". We do not guarantee any specific headspace dimension, only that it is within the mil spec of 1.4636" to 1.4736" when measured with a brand new, mil spec bolt.
What ammo should I use?
Selecting the proper ammo is extremely important! The grand majority of all malfunctions are directly related to ammo and/or magazine. We recommend (together with every other firearms manufacturer that we are aware of) that you shoot factory new, SAAMI spec ammo only! Shooting surplus, reloaded, steel cased, or any non-SAAMI spec ammo will not only cause malfunctions but is dangerous! DO NOT SHOOT RELOADED/REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION OR SURPLUS AMMUNITION AT ANY TIME OR FOR ANY REASON!!! DOING SO VOIDS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES!!! Hard primers (especially on WOLF and other Russian ammo), OAL issues (on reloads), pressure issues (on surplus and WOLF ammo) etc. are common on reloaded and non-SAAMI spec ammo. Please, for your sake, shoot new, SAAMI spec ammo only!
How accurate are these guns?
The parts kits that we sell will probably out perform the shooter. To answer any accuracy questions, a statistically valid sample, under lab conditions, would have to be done, shooting hundreds of groups with each configuration barrel and various makes of ammo. We have not done this, so any answer that we could supply would have no statistically valid data to back it up. We could simply "make something up" to pacify those asking these types of questions, and if that is the case, these barrels will generally shoot into a minute and half of angle and last 15,000 to 25,000 rounds, varying widely on usage. With that said, there are no guarantees of accuracy on any products Blackthorne Products sells. If you want an accuracy guarantee, spend the extra $1,000.00 and buy a big name brand gun that guarantees it's accuracy. If there is a defect in materials and/or workmanship, we will, by all means, rectify the situation.
What is the recommended break in procedure?
We recommend that you VERY THOROUGHLY clean the chamber and bore and ensure a dry chamber and bore before shooting. There may be a small burr from the gas hole. This is completely normal and will be swaged out upon firing the first round. It will not cause any problems or damage in any way. We coat the chamber and bore with a preservative for obvious resons before shipping. This preservative must be removed before shooting. We recommend cleaning then shooting one round and then cleaning the chamber and bore. Repeat this ten times. Then fire ten rounds and clean the chamber and bore. Repeat this ten times. That is all there is to it.
What is legal?
Generally speaking, if it has a buttstock the barrel must be 16 inches or longer. If the barrel is shorter than 16 inches it must be on a pistol registered receiver and NOT have a buttstock. These are just guidelines, any specific legal questions should be asked of BATFE.
We are not lawyers and as such we do not give legal advice. YOU are solely responsible for knowing any and all Federal, State, and Local laws regarding firearms and/or firearms parts. If you are at all unsure, get the advise of law enforcement, BATFE, or your lawyer, and get it in writing.
The following section applies to AK parts only.
What is an AK Receiver
A receiver is the gun as far as BATFE is concerned. On an AK type rifle, this is the part that houses the hammer, trigger etc. and the magazine. Blackthorne Products does NOT sell receivers.
Will your parts fit My AK
This is a hard question to answer because there are so many different variations of AK's. If you are not sure if a part that Blackthorne Products sells will fit your particular AK, find out BEFORE you order to avoid re-stocking charges. If you are un-sure, email us for clarification. The following should be considered Rules of Thumb and may, or may not, apply to your specific gun.
- Most internal fire control parts will fit most AK's. Some double hook triggers will not fit in some receivers cut for single hook triggers. Blackthorne Products carries single hook triggers.
- Butt stocks - There are a number of types of rear tangs for fitting butt stocks: Milled (we do not carry any butt stocks for milled guns), Standard rear tangs have a projection and hold the butt stock on with two screws. These include Chinese, Romanian, Bulgarian, etc. Yugo rear tangs are not really tangs at all, they are recessed into the receiver and held on with one long screw through the butt stock. Under folder stocks come in a variety of styles but most will interchange.
- Handguards - Most handguards will interchange. Some handguards for milled receiver guns have a narrower tang. A standard handguard can be filed narrower to fit a milled receiver. Yugo handguards and tube covers are longer than standard handguards and are NOT interchangeable.
- Barrel threads - There are a number of different threads on AK barrels. 14-1mm LH can be considered standard. 24-1.5mm is much larger and found on some newer versions of the AK.
- Barrels - most barrels will NOT interchange without some fitting of some kind or another. Dimensions and diameters vary. We try to list the diameter or thread pitch of all of our barrel products, it is up to you to determine if they will fit for your particular application.
What is Legal?
Again, we are not lawyers, nor can we be expected to know the legalities of each and every state and municipality. All the parts that we sell are legal under federal law, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that they are legal in your area. This is especially important when assembling a complete firearm or modifying the configuration of a firearm. Do yourself a favor and be absolutely sure that what you are doing is legal. Contact BATFE or your local DOJ with any specific questions that you may have.
The following section applies to Galil parts only.
Where do these parts come from and what is the condition.
Many of the Galil parts that we sell come directly from Israel. If from Israel, this will be noted on the individual part description. Condition is excellent except as noted. Some parts (ie Handguards) are assembled in the US using genuine Israeli parts.
What is involved in assembling a Galil kit
In addition to complying with Federal laws (922(r), 925(d)(3) et. al. and any state or local laws, there is some confusion involving barrel timing and headspace. If the barrel already has the gas block installed, the gas block must be pressed off, the gas bleed hole welded and ground, the barrel installed and headspaced onto a receiver, extractor cut made, handguard retainer slot milled, gas bleed hole drilled, and gas block pressed on and pinned.
AR-10 type parts
The following section applies to AR-10 type parts only.
What guns will these parts fit?
The uppers that we make are made to fit either Armalite type lowers or DPMS type lowers. These are NOT interchangeable. If you are uncertain whether an upper will fit, contact the manufacturer of the lower and ask them. All of our .308 Caliber AR uppers use the mil spec barrel nut thread 1 7/16 - 18 TPI.